I pictured a perfectly cooked baked egg on top of my avocado. And if I had emptied out the avocado shell a little more I probably would have gotten that. But I didn't want to waste any of the avocado goodness, so I filled the shell. And when I put my egg on top it didn't necessarily stay where I wanted it to.
If you make this, I say give my accidental way a shot. But if you want to aim for that picture perfect dish, maybe scoop out some of the avocado mixture to go below the rim of the shell so it doesn't all pour over.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6-8 minutes
Servings: 1 person
You Will Need:
- 1/2 avocado, plus the shell
- 1 TBS diced mushroom
- 1 TBS diced tomato
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- hot sauce, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. To avoid sticking, spray the foil (optional).
- Remove any bruised spots from the avocado, and if that isn't more than a spoonful of avocado then remove a spoonful (eat it!).
- In a small bowl, scoop the avocado out of the shell and mash. Add mushrooms, tomato, garlic powder, and salt and stir to combine.
- Spoon the avocado mixture back into the shell. Create a crevice in the middle (see picture above) to catch the egg yolk in.
- Place the filled avocado shell on the baking sheet. Crack the egg open right over the avocado so that the yolk catches in the crevice and the white pours over around the shell. Any amount of white that stays on the avocado is totally fine.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, depending on how long it takes for the white to cook through.
- Once done and on a plate, drizzle with hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot, preferably!)(optional). Enjoy!
What was your last "catastrophe" turned "happy accident" dish?