Easily one of my favorite parts of my first meal of the day is toast. A good, grainy, satisfying piece of toast. The best part about toast? The possibilities of what you use as spreads or toppings are endless! In this recipe I use the bright, refreshing flavors of lemon and apple to wake me up and get my day started on a delicious note!
A rye bread, or sour rye better yet (which is what I used), plays really well with the sweetness of the apple and the creaminess of the ricotta. Use whatever bread you prefer though (even make it gluten free bread), or simply whatever you have on hand!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes (to desired toastness!)
You Will Need:
- 1 large piece sour rye, or other bread
- 1/4 cup ricotta
- juice of 1/2 small lemon
- 1/4 small apple, cut into matchsticks
- 1 TBS chopped pecans
- honey, for drizzling
- Toast the bread as desired.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta and lemon juice until mixed together.
- Spread lemon ricotta onto toast.
- Place apple onto toast, pressing down slightly to keep in place.
- Sprinkle pecans all over, again pressing down slightly.
- Drizzle with honey to finish. (how easy is that?!)
What is your favorite thing to put on toast?