I originally had planned on making puff pastry for this recipe from scratch. But then I started thinking about the day ahead of me - I had Christmas cards to make, presents to finish crocheting, grocery shopping to do...and not enough time to do all of it! Buying pre-made, frozen puff pastry sheets makes a world of difference in time management! With just a few other ingredients you'll be ready to make THE holiday appetizer people can't stop raving about.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 24 puffs
You Will Need:
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 TBS butter
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 1/2 cups extra sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 TBS fresh sage, chopped
- 1 egg
- kosher salt, for sprinkling
- Place oven racks in middle and top third of oven. Preheat to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small pot, melt butter on low. Add onion and stir to coat with butter. Let cook on low until caramelized and brown, about 10 minutes, stirring every other minute or so to avoid burning and sticking. Remove from heat and set aside.
- As onions are cooking, combine cheddar and sage in a bowl or plate and mix gently with fingers to combine. Set aside.
- Unfold your puff pastry and cut each sheet into 12 equal squares (use the folds as a guideline to cut three long pieces, then in the other direction cut in half then each side in half again).
- Place a little cheddar sage mixture on one side of each puff pastry square and then top with some caramelized onion (see above photo for example).
- Fold over each square and pinch sides shut. Fold pinched sides underneath onto bottom side. Place each square evenly spaced apart on baking sheets with at least 1 1/2 inches between puffs.
- Whisk egg in a bowl and brush onto the tops of each puff. Sprinkle puffs with a little bit of kosher salt.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes, rotating from front to back and top to middle shelves halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven and let cool on sheets for 5 minutes.
What is your favorite holiday party item?