If you are able to buy shrimp already peeled and deveined that is great. If not, it adds a bit of prep work/time but nothing that should sway you away from making this. It's worth it! So - should you need to do it yourself, an easy way to remove the shell is simply to get your fingers in between the legs, push til you hear a crack, then peel to either side. Use a sharp paring knife to cut down the middle of the shrimp and remove the vein. Do it in one clean motion so that you don't make an uneven surface.
Leave the tails on! They're pretty. But if you prefer to take them off prior to cooking that's okay, too. They're also really easy to pull off once cooked, so if you don't want to serve them tails-on then pulling them off post-cooking might be an option for you.
If you have it in salad form (like I typically do) then do yourself a favor and use the bacon grease/marinade you cook the shrimp in as a base for a simple vinaigrette. Mix it with white wine vinegar and a touch of salt and voila! Delicious.
Prep Time: 25-30 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes per batch
Servings: makes about 20-25 shrimp
You Will Need:
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled/deveined/cleaned
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 2-3 limes (about 1 TBS)
- 1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup melted bacon grease, plus 2 TBS
- Rinse shrimp under cold water for 20 seconds. Drain well.
- Place shrimp in a large bowl and add garlic, lime juice, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup bacon grease. Toss to coat well and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Remove from fridge and let shrimp continue to marinate on the counter for another 5 minutes.
- Add 2 TBS bacon grease to a large fry pan over medium heat. Add shrimp in a single layer, cooking for two minutes per side. As you cook, be sure to include any marinade that may have sunk to the bottom of the bowl. You may find you need to do multiple batches - if that is the case then do it. It is important the shrimp is cooked in a single layer to ensure that it cooks evenly!
- Remove from heat and serve on their own, atop salad, with pasta, or however else you may like. Enjoy!