Like this morning - not only did I use leftovers from dinner yesterday (which I love to do) but it created an amazing fall morning meal. It's easy enough to do on a weekday before work or school and indulgent enough to want on the weekend.
Depending on how long you have been reading my blog, I am sure you have realized eggs are absolutely a staple of mine year round (if you are new to thealiconklin take a look around - you'll find lots of delicious egg recipes and even more egg photos on my Instagram feed!). Given my love for both, the combination of egg and pumpkin seed was inevitable!
Each of these ingredients are so incredibly flavorful on their own and don't need much spicing up other than a pinch of salt. The egg is savory, the butternut squash sweet, the pumpkin seeds nutty...the exact combination you would want for a fall breakfast. Perfect.
Prep Time: 2 minutes (more if need to roast squash)
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Servings: 1 person
You Will Need:
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup roasted butternut squash, diced
- 1 TBS pumpkin seeds
- olive oil
- sea salt
- **If you need to roast your butternut squash this is how you do it: preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Peel your butternut squash, cut in half, and remove seeds with a spoon. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Toss pieces with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast until fork tender and starting to brown, about 30 minutes.**
- In a small fry pan, add a small amount of olive oil and coat pan. Turn stove on to medium heat and crack open egg. Once the edges start to crisp up (about 2-3 minutes) flip the egg and cook for another 10 seconds. Flip onto a plate and set aside.
- In same pan, throw in the butternut squash and cook for about 1 minute to coat in olive oil and slightly fry. Spread pieces onto a plate and place the egg on top.
- Once again in the same pan, add your pumpkin seeds and toast for 1 minute, tossing often. Spread over the egg and squash.
- Sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Enjoy!