I like sweet sometimes, but I am much more of a savory girl. Oats are perfect for that savory flavor! I love that they are appropriate for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
This recipe can be easily doubled, just make sure to keep the oats to liquid ratio 1:2. I use "quick cooking" steel-cut oats, which I suggest you do too. I'm pretty keen on Bob's Red Mill, but you may choose whichever brand you like. If you are unsure of how exactly to poach an egg, follow the steps in my previous post, Poached Eggs and Miso Dressed Salad. It's very easy, I promise! You may also omit the poached egg for a great vegan dish.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 1 person
You Will Need:
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 3 medium sized shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup coconut or almond milk plus 1/2 cup water (1 cup total)
- 1/2 cup "quick cooking" steel-cut oats
- 1 large egg
- splash of white vinegar and pinch of salt (for poaching)
- 1 TBS tamari (shoyu or soy sauce can be a replacement but will make dish contain gluten)
- 1 TBS thinly sliced scallions
- sesame seeds to garnish, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil on medium heat. Add shiitake mushrooms and toss, letting cook for 30 seconds.
- Add rice vinegar to mushrooms and toss again. Let cook another 2 minutes or so, until all oil and vinegar has been absorbed and parts are starting to brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- As mushrooms are cooking, heat the milk and water mixture to boiling in a medium pot.
- Once boiling, lower heat to a simmer and add oats. Stir then cover. Stir occasionally and keep an eye on boiling over (the milk likes to foam up from the heat), cooking until desired thickness about 10-12 minutes.
- Towards the last few minutes of cooking, poach the egg.
- When oats are done, place into a bowl. Top with shiitake mushrooms. Pour over tamari and scatter scallions all over. Add the poached egg on top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds to garnish, if desired.
Will you try these savory oats for breakfast, lunch, or dinner?