Whether you're enjoying the spring-like warmth or actually living in the month of February, this slaw goes great with any light or heavy main dish you may be cooking up tonight.
The crunch of the broccoli goes so well with the freshness of the fennel, the sweetness of the cranberries, and the tang of the balsamic dijon dressing.
So...no matter where you are and what the weather is or if you are inspired or not then you're in luck because this slaw is as easy to to make as it is satisfying paired with any food or on its own. Now excuse me while I go munch on some!
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: n/a
Yields: about 4 cups
You Will Need:
- 1 large-ish head broccoli, shredded, including stems (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup fennel, sliced thin and roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS whole grain dijon mustard
- 1 TBS plus 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli*, fennel, and cranberries. Set aside. *the best way to shred the broccoli is to cut the stalks off, and slice chunks of the head so that you can feed each piece through a food processor fitted with the shredding disk.*
- In a small glass or bowl, combine the olive oil, mustard, balsamic, salt, and pepper and whisk with a small whisk or fork to emulsify (see above picture for ideal texture), about 1 minute.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mix then toss to thoroughly coat. Eat immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Will last about 4-5 days in the fridge. Enjoy!