I'm all about any type of cookie. You just can't go wrong. But shortbread cookies hold a super special place in my heart. They're basically crunchy yet melt-in-your-mouth butter and I just love that. I use the same base recipe for my shortbread cookies every time but depending on my mood they either stay plain or get flavored. Being that it is winter and citrus fruit is at its prime, the mood struck for me to flavor them with the sweetness of blood orange.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60-75 minutes
Servings: 24 cookies
You Will Need:
For the Cookies:
- 3 cups all purpose flour (unbleached, preferably!)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 sticks (3/4 lb) salted butter, cold and cut into small cubes, plus a pat for brushing
- zest and juice of 1 blood orange
For the Icing:
- juice of 1/2 blood orange
- 1 tsp light corn syrup
- 2/3-3/4 cup powdered sugar (depending on amount of juice)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking dish (such as Pyrex) with a piece of aluminum foil larger than the dish itself (to act as handles later). Brush foil with melted butter.
- Mix the flour and sugar together in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Mixing on low, throw in butter until incorporated with flour and sugar and looks crumby, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add blood orange zest and juice to mixture and mix on low again for 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and press down evenly to make a firm block. Bake for 60-75 minutes until edges are browned and middle is golden brown. Remove from oven and cut into 24 pieces (4 in one direction, 6 in the other). Let cool.
- As cookies are cooling. Combine blood orange juice, corn syrup, and powdered sugar in a small bowl and mix to make icing. If too watery, add more powdered sugar. It all depends on how much juice you got from your 1/2 orange.
- Once cookies are cooled, remove from dish by pulling up on foil and place on a large board or plate. Using a spoon or small icing spatula, spread a thin layer of icing mixture on to each cookie. Let icing harden. Enjoy!
What's your favorite shortbread cookie variation?