Now that I'm older, I won't discriminate against store bought. After all, there are some pretty good ones out there (I'm looking at you, marshmallow dream bars from Starbucks). But homemade crispy rice squares are just so superior. Not to mention, they're a blank canvas to flavor however you like!
I made these recently for brunch at a friend's house. Every year my friend Clare has "marathon brunch" - brunch on the day of the NYC Marathon. The course goes right past her street so we head to her place to eat, go outside and cheer on runners, and go inside and eat some more. Such a wonderful, inspiring time! Everyone at brunch loved these treats - such a hit!
Make a batch for yourself or to share with family and friends. They'll put a smile on everyone's face. As for me, I'm about to make another batch all for myself...
*Don't have time to whip these up? No problem! If you live in the Brooklyn area you can buy these (and other goodies to come) for delivery or pickup right on your smartphone. Download the Homemade app today! *
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5-10 minutes
Servings: makes 12 squares
You Will Need:
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3 TBS salted butter, plus more for oiling the dish
- 1 10oz bag marshmallows
- Combine the crispy rice cereal, dark chocolate chips, dried cranberries, and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl. Mix to evenly combine. Set aside.
- Oil a 13x9 dish with a stick of butter or spray with cooking spray. Also oil or spray a rubber spatula that can withstand heat. Set dish aside.
- In a medium-large pot, add 3 TBS butter and melt on low-medium heat. Once melted, add entire bag of marshmallows and constantly stir with oiled spatula until marshmallows are completely melted (about 5 minutes, possibly up to 10 depending on size of marshmallows and heat being used).
- Turn off heat and add bowl of dry ingredients to the pot. Stir and fold using spatula to evenly distribute marshmallow mixture throughout.
- Pour into your oiled baking dish and using your hands (best if also oiled!) press down to make even.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes. Cut into 12 squares. Enjoy!